Sunday, January 11, 2009

Movie Review: Seven Pounds

Seven Pounds, starring Will Smith and Rosario Dawson, is the tale of... well, it's a story about... really, at it's core, its a movie that focuses in on... uh, honestly, I have no plot description. Not that the movie is about nothing, it is about something, but I'm just not really sure what and I literally had no clue what was going on for almost the entirety of its 2-hour runtime. I will say, though, it was beautifully acted by Rosario Dawson in a supporting role that is worthy of an Oscar in my book, her character was incredibly moving and played as the counter balance to Will Smith's (also putting in a near magnificent performance) solemn portrayal of Ben Thomas, a man whose plot line would surely spoil the movie if told. The problem, though, is that not only does the movie leave you scratching your head (and not in the unpredictable mystery/thriller type of way), but the storyline is complete nonsense and not-believable once it is finally revealed what Smith's Ben Thomas' motivation is for doing what it is he's doing. I realize this review may seem complicated and vague, but I don't have a lot to say about a movie without much purpose for the first 9/10 of the way through and if I do let it be known what happens at the end the movie is ruined. You'd have to see it to understand what I'm saying, but please don't rush out to theaters for this one, there are a ton of better choices. At the same time though, the movie certainly wasn't bad, my official rating of it is a 3/5, it is certainly an interesting - if not depressing (today was a very depressing movie day for me, I started my morning by watching Reservation Road on HBO and that literally ruined my day) - film that is acted flawlessly by Dawson, Smith, and even Woody Harrelson is a very small supporting role.

No comments: