Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Night of the Election - How I'm Feeling

I am by no means a gifted enough writer to put into words the emotion that has overcome me tonight as Barack Obama won the presidency of the United States, but I will give it my best shot. To be a part of the generation that elected the first black president into office enthuses me more than you could ever know. If you are reading this I’m sure you know my political leanings, I am very liberal and have been pretty vocal about my stances on politics for the past couple of years now, but this is bigger than just domestic/foreign policies. This is the affirmation and a new chapter in racial relations in the United States, even the most pessimistic can never deny the fact of what just happened tonight. This is a surreal moment in time and has not even really sunk in yet that our president elect is Obama. People were celebrating all night, in Chicago, New York, Washington D.C., outside my College Park window, and God bless them, but not me. Tonight, I just sat and watched and reflected and tried to soak it all in. Then Obama came on and put into words everything that I was feeling but could have never orated. I don’t need to remind any of you what a great speaker he is, but make no mistake about it; he captured the essence of what just happened better than anyone ever could. So, if you were part of the raucous celebration and missed it, enjoy…

No comments: