Saturday, September 20, 2008

Largest Financial Buyout Since Great Depression

Today, George Bush and his financial advisers have proposed a bill seeking that congress allow the government to buy $700 billion in bad mortgages. I wish I had more knowledge of the economy to say if this is a good or a bad thing, but I would like to take this opportunity to echo the sentiments of Ron Paul. While, I generally think Ron Paul is a clown and his radical supporters are delusional, I certainly agree on his slogan that American's need to gain a better understanding of the economy. When we, myself included, continue to let what other people tell us about the economic future and present of the nation stand as truth, we are doing ourselves a disservice. I know I am going to make a concerted effort, not just to continue to take economics courses in school, but to also read as much information about the economy as possible. I understand that this particular crisis is a once in a lifetime occurrence,but I do believe that the methodical meltdown of the U.S. economy is a problem and that if all citizens of the United States spent a little less time deciding who gets to enter the country and a little more time figuring out what the hell is going on with the finances and the trillion dollar deficit, we would be in better shape. This has nothing to do with which party you affiliate with, your socioeconomic background, your religion, or anything, it has to do with your fundamental responsibility as an American to pay attention.

No comments: