Sunday, September 28, 2008

Movie Review: Miracle at St. Anna

Alright, let me just start by saying I'm a huge Spike Lee homer, I love everything he touches, along with Edward Burns, he is my favorite director. I'll then point out that RottenTomatoes currently has given it a 27%, which for those unfamiliar with the site, is abysmal. Well guess what, screw Rotten Tomatoes. I give this movie 5 Stars out of 5. First of all, the cast was impeccable, Derek Luke, Michael Ealy, Omar Benson Miller, and Laz Alonso gave stand out performances. Joseph Gordon Levitt, John Turturro, and John Leguizamo made appearances, as well. I don't want to get too deep into the plot because it has so many twists and story lines, but essentially the World War II epic focuses in on four black soldiers trapped in a small Italian village, surrounded by enemy German troops. Spike Lee masterfully directed the story and introduced us to a ton of unique characters, he finally gave a black perspective in a World War II film and he did it to near perfection. The movie was a bit long, coming in at 2.5 hours, but to me the time flew by. Go see this movie now, get the large popcorn and soda to last you through the movie, kick back and enjoy, this is film making at its core. This is the best movie I've seen all year, it pummels Batman, and that's the truth ruth.

No comments: