Monday, September 15, 2008

Movie Review: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

So, this movie comes out October 3rd and I'm pretty sure I'm not legally allowed to review it, but I'm going to anyway, because this thing was exactly what I hate about Hollywood. The movie stars Michael Cera (Juno, Superbad) and Kat Dennings (Charlie Bartlett, 40 Year Old Virgin), and the plot centered around these two indie rock scene high school seniors breaking free from past flings and seeing their own romance bud on a wild night, as they set forth to find where this mysteriously fleeting "Where's Fuzzy" concert is being held. Bla bla bla. We've seen all this before, and frankly I wasn't impressed then, and I sure as hell am not impressed now. Essentially, this was a complete rip off of "Juno", a movie that garnered a lot hype and won the Golden Globe's Best Picture award. Critics praised "Juno" for its great dialogue, witty script, and flawless acting job, but in my opinion, "Juno" was just more of the same garbage that Hollywood has been calling sophisticated fun for the past two or three years. Basically, its no longer funny nor cool to scream and shout and run into things, rather you have to be edgy and dry all the time. There's nothing wrong with a dry humor, I personally prefer it to Ben Stiller slapstick, but to just throw together something and expect me to buy into just because the in-the-know artsy film people say it's the new comedic genre for true film fans is a joke. I give this movie a solid C+, it was decent, but, there was nothing groundbreaking here, nothing original, it was basically a terrible blend of "Juno" and "Superbad". I just wasn't buying it. I like Kat Dennings, I like Michael Cera, I hated this movie. Save your money.

No comments: